|Five years ago on a walk, in Madeira, Portugal, we spotted this waterfall. For more details on the 2014 post, please click here.|
Fascinating Fact of the Day About Ireland
“Wild Atlantic Way is the longest coastal driving route in the world.
The Wild Atlantic Way in 14 Steps
- Inishowen Peninsula – Derry to Letterkenny
- Fanad Head – Letterkenny to Bunbeg
- The Slieve League Coast – Bunbeg to Donegal Town
- Donegal Bay and Sligo – Donegal Town to Ballina
- Erris – Ballina to Belmullet
- Achill Island and Clew Bay – Belmullet to Westport
- Killary Harbour – Westport to Clifden
- Connemara – Clifden to Galway
- The Burren and West Clare – Galway to Kilkee
- The Shannon Estuary – Kilkee to Tralee
- The Dingle Peninsula – Tralee to Castlemaine
- Ring of Kerry – Castlemaine to Kenmare
- Beara and Sheep’s Head – Kenmare to Durrus
- West Cork – Durrus to Kinsale
The 2500 km, 1553 miles, journey could take weeks, especially when stopping for overnight stays and sightseeing. However, with fuel costs, hotels, and dining, the cost for such an adventure may well be less than a two or three-week stay in more expensive hotels in the large cities.
|We walked through this short tunnel to reach the ocean at the other end as shown in these other photos.|
We’re anticipating dinner to be approximately Euro 72, US $80, in a nearby restaurant plus we’ll need to add another Euro 37, US $40, to our expenses for taxi fare and tip. Once we arrive on Thursday (next week) we’ll drop off the rental car and use the hotel’s free shuttle to the airport.
|Nothing is as mesmerizing as the sea.|
|Two small waterfalls flow from the rocks in a natural rock wall.|
|Clouds rolling in.|
Oddly, for world travelers, one would assume we look forward to long road trips but as we’ve mentioned here in the past, neither of enjoys long periods in the car. Tom is a relatively aggressive driver, with little patience for traffic.
|The preformed cement blocks aren’t attractive but serve a useful purpose.|
The 3½ hour drive to Dublin on August 8th will be a long enough drive for us. When we arrive in England after the Baltic cruise ends, we’ll fly to Exeter, England and over two months we’ll be driving to our four chosen holidays rentals every two weeks or so as our address changes. These shorter trips will be perfect for sightseeing and enjoying the English countryside.
Have a great Monday!
|Male kudus have horns, females do not. At about 15 months the horns begin to take on the shape of the first spiral. For more photos, please click here.|