Sorting the details…They are all coming to say “goodbye”…Five days and counting…Today’s photos and more favorite photos

Nyala wasn’t taking any guff from a zebra trying to abscond with his pellets.  He need only tap his horns on the ground one time, to get the message across which we’ve often seen Big Daddies do as well.

“Sighting of the Day in the Bush”

We’re always in awe of the beauty of a waterbuck, in this case, a female who don’t have horns.

It may sound foolish to think that our favorite wildlife is coming to say goodbye to us.  However, silly it may sound we’re humoring ourselves to believe it’s true.
Over the weekend we had a giraffe in the garden, all of our favorite kudus and zebras, warthogs, duikers, and bushbucks.

This morning it was a menagerie with Frank and The Mrs., Cupid the kudu with the heart-shaped marking on her neck, Basket and his new girlfriend, Sigfried and Roy, Wildebeest Willie, five zebras, 11 kudus, and again this morning more mongooses (more than 60) and helmeted guineafowl, more than we could count.

White dots on the right side of nyala’s head.

Now, I wait patiently, this lovesick-pig-lover that I am, waiting to see Little one more time.  He hasn’t been around in over a week and I am wondering what has kept him away.

Yesterday, on Facebook we saw a photo of Tusker taken many blocks from us.  Basket had scared him off several times in the past months and he finally gave up visiting us since Basket tends to come by several times a day.  

It’s good to see Basket being nice to his girlfriend.  He’s quite the bully but he certainly enjoys when I talk to him and, with those tiny beady eyes looks intently into mine.  I often wonder what he’s thinking.

We couldn’t have been happier than to see nyala coming by one more time.

It’s arrogant of us humans to assume animals don’t think and purely react by means of instinct.  After spending almost two years (total) in Africa, the majority of our time watching wildlife behavior, we’re convinced that although they don’t speak (our language) they certainly know how to communicate with us.

Undoubtedly, such behavior requires a modicum of thinking and we’re totally convinced that we aren’t superior to wildlife.  We’re just different and they have a right to be here on this earth as much as we do, if not more.  They were here long before us humans.

Friends have asked if it will be hard to leave here.  Now with only five days remaining until we depart, I am feeling a bit of melancholy knowing we are leaving behind our animal and human friends. 

A male bushbuck relaxing in the garden.

But, these past three months have been difficult and I can’t help but associate this environment with the many challenges.  I’m sure, in no time at all, I’ll be longing to return as memories of the wildlife and our social life flood my mind.  

This morning at 9:00 am we returned to the medical clinic for treatment on my leg.  Doc Theo had left for a much deserved 10 day holiday and now we’re seeing Doc Phillip in his absence.  Unexpectedly, there was a slight improvement in the size of the wound, maybe as much as 20%.

I sincerely believe the walking, although painful, has been instrumental in increasing the blood flow and thus aiding in the bit of healing.  If this continues through the week, there is a small chance we could avoid driving three hours a day, every other day, to a wound clinic in Galway.

This mornings zebra visitors.

We could treat the wound at “home” wearing latex gloves, using the healing cream and re-bandaging it every other day as is being done now. By the end of the week, we’ll forward the photos to Theo and if he approves we can bypass the necessity of the long drive.  

He insisted we stay in touch with him, while he’s still on holiday and thereafter, sending him photos each time we remove the bandages.  He will assess the photos and determine if further professional care is necessary.  In the interim, Doc Phillip is sending him photos every two days.

I’m not going to get overly enthusiastic yet.  I’ve done this several times to be sorely disappointed when it took a turn for the worse a few days later.  It’s been sweet when many of our readers have written to congratulate me on the improvement, only to find myself writhing in pain a day later.   Tentatively, I mention this slight improvement.

This morning, I figured out how to use my new fitness watch which Tom purchased for me while I was in hospital. It was highly motivating to see the results of my walking on the digital readout.  My goal in the near future will be 10,000 steps per day.

Elephant family drinking from the sparse amounts of water in the river during the summer months.

From this site “How far are 10,000 steps? An average person has a stride length of approximately 2.1 to 2.5 feet. That means that it takes over 2,000 steps to walk one mile, and 10,000 steps would be almost 5 miles.”  

Of course, this will include general walking about the house, going outdoors and performing usual household tasks, cooking, shopping and the like.  But, this goal of 10,000 steps per day will not only be good for my heart but also as my legs continue to fully heal.  Wearing this device is highly instrumental in motivating me.  

By the end of today, I’ll have completed half this amount since walking is still challenging and painful.  Hopefully, by the end of the first month in Ireland, I’ll be able to fulfill my goal.  

They willingly share with one another.

Today, we’re planning to return the walker to the kindly local homeowner who graciously offered it a no cost.  Of course, we have a gift bag for her with many thanks and appreciation. 

I made a concerted effort not to use the walker over the weekend and now, although I’m still limping, I can get around unassisted.  It’s still difficult to stand from a sitting position or get out of bed when I only have the use of my arms to support me but finally, they too, are getting stronger.

I’ve completed more packing, organizing, and sorting at this point. If I had only an hour to get ready to go, I could pull it off.  The task of scanning and logging receipts is completed.  

Ms. Toad, already fattening up for mating soon.  We turn on the light each night to attract flying insects for her to eat.

Our paperwork for immigration is in an envelope ready for their reviewal.  A rental car has been booked at over twice the cost we paid in South Africa (we’re expecting everything to be more expensive in Ireland). 

The directions to the Connemara house has been printed and a wheelchair has been arranged for me for all legs of the flight.  All that is left, is for Tom to pack and a few odds and ends here for me.  I’m at peace that I’ve done all I can at this point.

Mom teaching baby a little about headbutting.

We’ll be back with more tomorrow as we continue to count down the days until we leave Africa.

Be well, dear friends.  Thank you for “hanging in there” with us!


Photo from one year ago today, May 6, 2018:

Although they all had their backs to us, it was great to see these elephants.  For more photos, please click here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *