Checking on our options…no definitive decisions yet…Although, we do know this…

A few days ago, my laptop screen became barely attached. I cannot close the lid and use the touch screen for scrolling. In the realm of things, it’s a minor inconvenience.

We know one thing for sure about our current situation…we are leaving Ecuador sooner than planned. I am running out of the only medication that works for my Afib and doesn’t cause me breathing problems. Ecuador doesn’t carry that drug here, and it’s not possible to have prescription drugs shipped to Ecuador, even though it’s not a narcotic.

I have enough pills to get us back to the US around mid-December, where I can get more when we arrive, either shipped via an online drug company, like ProgressiveRX, which I’ve used many times in the past, or by visiting an Urgent Care facility to get a new prescription.

We aim to get me a future appointment at the Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, or Emory University, where they do robotic mitral valve repair. There is no way I am willing to have another open heart surgery after the traumatic experience I had in 2019. The recovery took me over a year.

Plus, I’ll be signing up for Medicare Part B and a supplement in the next few weeks, including a drug plan, since blood thinners are five times more expensive in the US than I paid here or would pay in many other countries.

On Wednesday, the cardiologist explained that I needed mitral valve surgery and should do it within a year. Waiting, at my age, makes no sense at all. But I’m seeking a second opinion in the US once I have the insurance in place. In the interim, the cardiologist explained I was safe waiting for a while.

Taking a blood thinner twice a day and the anti-arrhythmia drug should keep me safe while we figure all of this out. In the meantime, we are anxious to leave Ecuador and ensure I have the proper medication and…to leave when it is not much fun for us here.

To keep the lid steady and secure, I’ve placed the laptop in the upside-down lid of a large puzzle. If I didn’t, the entire thing could fall off, and I’d be unable to use the laptop.

We haven’t told the landlord, Igor, yet, but we will let him know once we book our airfare and a vacation home, depending on where we’re going and availability. We don’t expect a refund for the time we aren’t using, which is about 19 days. We have decided to fly out of a much bigger city than Manta, Guayaquil, a three-hour drive from here.

Yesterday, we contacted the car rental facility, and they’ve agreed we can leave the rental car in Guayaquil for an extra $67. Although we paid an inordinate amount for the car, we were grateful this charge wasn’t more. We won’t get a credit for the week we won’t use on the car rental contract. They don’t do that here.

The question many of you may be asking…Is our world journey over after 11 years? We can’t answer that right now. We have too much to figure out. We always knew that medical issues would eventually end our world travels. But the US is a vast place, and perhaps once I’ve had the surgery and recovered, we just may begin our tour of the US.

In any case, we have no plans to stop posting as long as we have readers interested in what we have to say. I will take you on the journey with me to get my mitral valve issue resolved and the subsequent recovery, as I did after the last open heart surgery.

Thank you all for your readership and continuing interest in the simple nuances of our daily lives. These experiences are not unlike those many of our worldwide readers are dealing with as, for many, a part of life as we age. Regardless of how hard I’ve tried to avert this scenario, heredity is more powerful than a positive attitude. I am hopeful for the future. I am the oldest living person on my mother’s side of the family, from which I inherited these health issues.

Thank you all for everything you’ve done to support us along the way.

Be well.

Photo from ten years ago today, November 24, 2013:

While playing Gin on Saturday, this gecko appeared on one of the pillars supporting the roof. Its feet moved in a sticky manner, using each toe in the process, seemingly all going in different directions. For more photos, please click here.

Comments and responses Checking on our options…no definitive decisions yet…Although, we do know this…

  1. Lisa Reply

    Take care, Jess! Good luck with it all & pls share the journey as you are able. You will help many of us readers, I am sure. We both wish you all the best every step of the way.

    • worldwide-admin Post authorReply

      Lisa, thank you so much for your thoughtful and informative messages these past days and always. We hope you continue to enjoy your travels for years to come.

      Warmest regards,
      Jess & Tom

  2. Rich Borotz Reply

    Best of luck Jess and Tom. I am an example of probably many readers who enjoy your daily posts ever since you left Chanhassen. Thank You!!

    • worldwide-admin Post authorReply

      Rich, how wonderful to hear from you! Thank you for you well wishes and we do plan, no matter what, to continue doing our posts. We hope you are doing well.

      Warmest regards,
      Jess & Tom

  3. Thelma May Reply

    I am so relieved you are heading back to the USA for medical treatment. I think you have made the best decision for now. I am praying and believing you will find the perfect doctors that you need. I think when you get this behind you a tour of the US would be fun! As usual I will be reading daily and thinking of you and Tom and your travels. How you made the ten months in India interesting is impressive! Praying that this health scare will be behind you very soon.

    • worldwide-admin Post authorReply

      Thelma May, you are s kind to write, as you have on many occasions. We both laughed when I read your comment about our ten months in India in lockdown in a hotel room. I still don’t know how we did it and what we had to write about! Thanks for writing and your thoughtful wishes. You mean the world to us!

      Warmest regards,
      Jess & Tom

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *