And the beat goes on…

Elephant crossing the river in a shallow area.

“Sighting of the Day in the Bush”

A visitor to our birdfeeder is always welcome.

For the first time since returning from the hospital last Wednesday, I was alone this morning while Tom went to the pharmacy and Spar market for a few items. At the moment we have no water…power, yes? Water? No.   

Eskom, the power company, has cut back on load shedding for the time being. We haven’t had a power outage in more than a week other than for a few minute outage here and there. But, the water…that’s another matter.  

Male impalas grazing at the river’s edge.

Before we arrived in Marloth Park in February 2018, some areas were out of water for five weeks. Gee, we don’t want to have to deal with this type of issue, especially now. It’s hard to imagine how permanent residents managed without water for such an extended period.

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I’m looking forward to moving on in 32 days. I only need to get well enough for a long travel day. Once we arrive and get settled in Ireland, I will continue to recover amid our travels and research on Tom’s ancestry.  

We don’t recognize this particular warthog who took a rest in the dark.

It will be wonderful to get my mind off of medical treatments, medical bills, and the products and supplies associated with my recovery. This has been a long haul, beginning at the end of January.

In the interim, I cannot spend any time on the veranda since there is nowhere I can sit with my feet up. I am not allowed to sit in a chair. Of course, I’m diligently following all of the doctor’s orders to ensure my recovery.

Lone elephant crossing the road in Kruger.

Tom opens the big front doors wide and has removed any obstacles that could impede my view of visiting wildlife while I’m on the sofa in the lounge with my feet on pillows.  

Unfortunately, I can’t see the shorter animals from this spot, like my favorites, warthogs, and others. But, Tom tells me exactly what’s transpiring and takes photos. I haven’t laid eyes on Little in weeks, but he comes almost every day.  I call out to him so he can at least hear my voice.

Elephant and waterbuck were enjoying the Crocodile River.

Tom continues to toss out pellets to all the visitors, but we no longer toss carrots and apples. I didn’t want to burden Tom with the responsibility of cutting the fruit and veg each day. Plus, he doesn’t miss them as quickly as I do, as I did.

A lot has changed around here in the past few months. I am useless to perform even the most minor household tasks when I have to be reclining with my feet up.  

Elephants in the tall grass.

But, somehow, we’re getting through it all. Amidst all the challenges, we’re optimistic and remain hopeful for the future. Life isn’t always how we’d like it to be, and some situations such as these have been beyond our control. All we can do is work toward the goal of good health and harmony.

Thank you for being on this journey with us. In a little over a month, it should pivot back to our lives of world travel, possessing a passion for our surroundings and embracing the adventures before us.

An elephant family grazing in the bush.

Photo from one year ago today, April 9, 2018:

Our beloved dog WorldWideWillie passed away on April 9, 2011, nine months before we decided to travel the world. During his last 17 days of life, this is Wille resting on our bed with his favorite toys; Tiger Woods (in the forefront) and Fred Flinstone behind his head. At night, he’d always use his pet steps while carrying these toys up onto the bed with him. Be well. For more, please click here.

Leave a Reply