Summer’s coming…hot, hot, hot!…Humans and animals feeling the heat…How do we manage in over 40C, (104F) temps with no AC?…Giraffe traffic…

It’s important to always stop and wait patiently when wildlife is crossing the road.  No honking necessary!  They’ll move on.

“Sighting of the Day in the Bush”

After eating a good-sized share of pellets, Baby Bushbuck needed a drink from his mom.  Soon, she’ll wean him since most likely she is pregnant again.  Bushbucks can give birth twice in a one year period.

First, let me clarify the air conditioning situation in the “Orange” house (see link here for the listing).  There are wall air conditioners in each of the three bedrooms and two units in the living room high up the wall on the massive vaulted ceiling.

If we move forward gently, they’ll usually move on.  This giraffe had no intention of getting out of the way.  We waited patiently and finally, she moved along. 
When we first arrived here last February 11th it was still summer, which ends around March 21st.  It was very hot, comparable to August heat in the northern hemisphere.  
She joined her “tower” of giraffes on the other side of the road.

During the first few nights after we arrived, we tried using the air con in the living room after we were done sitting outdoors, usually around 9:00 pm.  The inside of the house felt like an oven.  The air con was no help whatsoever. The massive room and high ceilings made it impossible to cool down at all. We haven’t used it since.  

They went about their business eating leaves from the treetops.

When we go to bed we use the high-on-the wall air con unit and it works well regardless of the temperature, to keep us cool while sleeping.  This is all we need.  During the days, we tough it out.

Right now, at 10:45 am it is 34C (92.3F).  It’s expected to be a high of 39C (102F) today peaking at around 1500 hours (3:00PM).  Since it’s not summered yet we’re still experiencing many cool and comfortable days of perfect weather.

Cape buffalo cooling off on a hot day.

Once summer arrives and the rains come, we’ll experience both heat and humidity.  Now, the humidity is very low with no rain in many months.  Thus sitting outdoors all day on these high temp days is rather tolerable.

When we were here in 2013/2014 (December through February) it was during the peak of summer and it was very hot and humid every day with hardly a day’s relief.  We managed then.  We’ll manage now.

Elephants gathered at a waterhole by the river.

I’m not attempting to allude that this heat is easy. Even in dry desert climates such as Nevada, our state of residency, anything over 39C (102F) is definitely hot and uncomfortable.  

Elephants digging holes for fresh clean water.

When we were in Henderson, Nevada in July 2017, the temperature reached as much as 47C, (117F), if not more.  We still managed to use son Richard’s pool and sit outdoors for a few hours each day, mostly in the shade. At most, we each spent 20 minutes in the sun for the vitamin D.

The sun is so hot here we haven’t been sitting in the sun at all although we do quite a bit of walking in the sun when we visit the fence at the Crocodile River.  To purposely sit in the sun here is extremely uncomfortable especially right now.

As hot as its been lately, its still spring here and birds are preparing their nests. A pair of blue African starlings has taken over the formerly unoccupied bushbaby house from a pair of hornbills. 

Regardless of how hot it gets, we always know, if we need a 10-minute break we can go into the bedroom, turn on the AC and get cool.  A better alternative is jumping in the little car and going for our usual drive in the park during the high-temperature peak mid-afternoon.   

Each day the female and male each bring bits of dried brush and other vegetation as they build their nest inside this house.

Tom’s already washed the little car’s windows which he must do each day before we head out when the windows are covered with dust, like every surface around us both inside and outside the house.  Everything must be dusted daily in order to feel some semblance of cleanliness.

No, it’s not easy living in the bush but the amazing aspects are well-worth the inconveniences.  Last night was exceptional when wildebeests Dad & Son stopped by as well as warthogs Tusker and his girlfriend, Seigfried and Roy, frog Loud Mouth, francolins Frank and the Mrs. and, Mr. Frog (who visits the light fixture on the veranda every night).

We expect to hear the chicks before too long. Incubation: lasts about 12 days. It begins with the next or next to last (penultimate) egg. Both sexes develop an incubation patch and brood the eggs, but incubation is mostly by the female (70% during the day and all night long).”

Before we went inside two kudus visited which we hadn’t seen in days since the school holidays began.  By this Sunday the school holidays will end and we can expect to see many more visitors and once again, enjoy the peace and quiet in the park.

Also, one week from today, our friends Tom and Lois will be arriving from the USA to spend three weeks with us.  Tomorrow, we’ll share some of the preparations we’ve begun for their arrival.  How exciting!

May your days be peaceful and fulfilling!


Photo from one year ago today, October 2, 2017:

It was one year ago today we posted about the horrific shootings in Las Vegas, Nevada.  For more on this sorrowful event, please click here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *