Back on top of the world…Memory of a terrifying morning, one year ago today…

It’s such a treat and a pleasure to enjoy a glass of red wine on the veranda at sundown.

While out-of-sorts yesterday after little sleep the prior night, somehow I managed to reset my phone to the factory settings, re-installing all of my favorite apps and restoring it in a manner to my liking. What a relief! Now, it’s working as it did when it was new. It’s a good feeling when all of our digital equipment is working properly.

Much to my disappointment, I noticed a spelling error on our site which mysteriously appeared after the most recent crash and restoration which I failed to notice. The word “Archive” in relation to our historic posts, is spelled “Archieve” an easy error to make when an India-Hindu/English-speaking company created and restored our site after the most recent crash several weeks ago.

I reported it to the web people and I imagine by the end of today, it will be corrected. Also, we lost the dates in front of each and every archived post which we had previously. This was extremely helpful for us, let alone our readers who may be going through each post from the beginning and would like to easily recall where they left off.

Last night, I managed to sleep almost eight hours. I wore my long-sleeve, winter PJs with long leggings keeping all my skin covered except my hands and feet. Before I went to bed, I slathered repellent on my hands and feet and around my neck and face.

We are thrilled to see so many animals drinking from the birdbath. It’s too close to the house to get birds, other than Frank but he and his family fulfill most of our birding aspirations right now.

In addition, late in the day, Tom sprayed the bedroom with Doom, leaving the door closed and the room unattended while the smell and chemicals dissipated sufficiently for us to eventually go to bed. I never got a single new bite overnight. Many of our readers have written with suggestions for my itching, which I thoroughly appreciate. But I’d already tried all of them already.

Plus, this isn’t a skin condition generated by my own body, such as dermatitis, eczema, or another such condition. It’s none of those. It’s bites of some sort. Thank you for all of your concerns and suggestions. Also, many other residents in Marloth Park are suffering from the exact same issue. It could be sand fleas, sandflies, chiggers, no-see-ums, or dust mites. It’s not mosquitos. Mosquito bites stop itching after four or five days. These bites continue to itch for weeks.

Anyway, a good night’s sleep has left me on top of the world today. Today is another cooler day. Right now it is only 77F, 25C. It’s very humid, but a far cry from what we’ve experienced over the past few months. The high today will be 81F, 22C, around noon, dropping from there. Wow! What a difference cooler weather makes in how we feel both mentally and physically.

On another note, It was one year ago today that we experienced that stressful morning when we were “kicked out” of the SunNSand Hotel in Mumbai, and sent to the Orchid Hotel where we were assured we had a reservation. Once we arrived at the Orchid, they had no idea who we were and were also closing the following morning.

Their amazing manager/concierge got to work on his phone and called one hotel after another looking for a safe place for us to stay. Without his help, the only option was for us to stay at a Covid-19 hotel packed with sick guests to stay while they recovered from the virus. There was no way we would have stayed in such a hotel.

Another enthusiastic drinker.

We wrote the following from that post:

“They had no record, whatsoever, of any reservation in our name, not for one night, let alone one month. Nor were they able to book us a room when they are closing tomorrow. Sun-n-Sand had pulled the wool over our eyes to get us out the door so they could close.

There we were hotels closing like dominoes falling, all over Mumbai along with owners of holiday homes not responding to our inquiries and literally nowhere for us to go. My heart was pounding in my chest. Tom kept reminding me to stay calm while we figured something out.

As much as the staff at The Orchid wanted to help us there was little they could do. The amazing hotel manager/concierge, Mr. Wesley Fernandes, immediately got to work trying with the utmost effort to find a solution for us.

I had visions of us standing outside the US Embassy in Mumbai with all of our baggage, pounding on the door trying to get help.”

Need a toothpick?

The heading of our post that day stated, “A morning from hell… OMG…OMG.” It was a terrifying morning when every hotel in the city of Mumbai was forced to close by the government, except for one… The Courtyard by Marriott Mumbai International Airport.

The kind man, Mr. Wesley Fernandes, arranged a taxi to take us to the Marriott. But even after we arrived, we were worried they, too, would close in a few days. It was months later that we could finally relax knowing they’d stay open during the 10 months we lived there in the lockdown. We will be eternally grateful they stayed open when at one point, there were only four rooms occupied by guests (including us) in the 330 room hotel.

Anytime in the future that we have an opportunity to stay at a Marriott Hotel we will, out of sheer loyalty to the fine company. Obviously, they lost huge sums of money staying open during the pandemic and hopefully will recover their losses in times to come, along with all the other business owners, and private parties, worldwide who have so dearly suffered during these challenging times.

And here we are, 70 days later, content to be in the bush and determined to stay until our next cruise after we’ve somehow managed to get a Covid-19 vaccine. Hopefully, we’ll be able to accomplish all of this in this upcoming year.

Stay safe. Stay healthy.

Photo from one year ago today, March 24, 2020:

Gorgeous leis of flowers offered for sale for religious offerings. For more, please click here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *