A storm unlike any other…Power stayed on!…Yeah!..Wet, humid and muddy terrain…

Wildebeest Willie, also known as a gnu, gave us quite a thrill when he arrived. In no time at all, two more Willies stopped by. It’s nice to see the animals drinking from the bird bath.

Last night, our dinner reservation at Jabula was canceled via text, due to the outrageous storm that started around 4:00 pm (1600 hours). We hadn’t taken anything out of the freezer for dinner, not anticipating we’d be dining at home. With the prospect and the likelihood of the power going out due to the thunder, lightning, winds, and rain, we were at a loss as to what to eat for dinner.

It’s not as if we have a freezer filled with prepared store-bought frozen foods. We only consume fresh, non-processed meals with the exception of a few canned fish, zero-carb condiments such as mustard, and a few spices. We were at a loss as to what we’d prepare. With all the meat frozen it would have taken hours for anything to defrost.

But, they say, “A drink from the pool is quite acceptable.”

The stovetop and oven are electric and with the lights blinking off and on during the storm, Tom suggested we have tuna salad with hard-boiled eggs. The trick would be to get the eggs boiled before the power went out. We hurried and placed six eggs in a saucepan of purified water and put it on high.

If we were able to get a strong boil, we could turn off the burner and let the eggs finish cooking in the pan with its lid on, the method we typically use to make hard-boiled eggs. Thirty-minutes after turning off the burner with the lid on the pan, the eggs would be cooked perfectly. We held our breath while the pan of eggs came to a boil. As soon as the strong boil started, the power went out and we immediately covered the eggs. Whew! We’d have tuna salad after all.

And then, there were three.

We made a huge batch, dividing it between two plates, and enjoyed our dinner inside the house. There was no way we could sit outdoors while the pouring rain continued. Shortly, before we ate, the power resumed and much to our surprise, we had electricity all night. We’d heard several homes in Marloth Park are still without power, yet to be restored. We dodged a bullet.

Tom just read me a message on Facebook from the Marloth Park Municipality stating there’s a water shortage. Apparently, it was a busy weekend with holidaymakers staying at many bush homes in the park, using water resources. We’ve all been asked to reduce our water consumption over the next several days.

They shared the pellets harmoniously.

The property owners and managers have struggled during the pandemic with few tourists booking any of the properties. Many bush homes have sat empty for over a year. It’s been a tough time here as well as all over the world. With Easter weekend coming up soon, there will be more activity in Marloth Park, not many foreigners, but more likely South African citizens.

Tonight, Linda and Ken are coming for dinner arriving at 4:00 pm (1600 hours) for sundowners and starters (appetizers). This morning, while it was still cool and before working on today’s post, I spent time in the kitchen prepping most of the meal. We’ll start with a wide array of starters and finish a few hours later, cooking lemon pepper seasoned flatties (flat cut whole chickens) which Tom will prepare on the braai, along with rice, roasted vegetables, and a green salad with fresh feta and grape tomatoes. We won’t be having a dessert after such a hearty meal.

Other wildlife was on the sidelines, but thought twice before entering the space of this trio.

We’ve had a number of visitors this morning, including more wildebeest which stopped by yesterday before the storm, as shown in today’s photos, Several bushbucks, kudus, and an endless stream of warthogs, commonly seen most days, made a visit. Frank and The Misses have been hanging around regularly, often right at our feet asking for seeds. We don’t waste a moment offering them a good-sized portion.

Speaking of sightings in the garden, last night for the fourth time, Tom spotted the porcupine run across the garden. I have yet to see it, although I look for it many times during the evening. They are nocturnal. We’re considering purchasing a waterproof night-vision trail cam before our shipment goes out in the next few days. Amazon will deliver it to our mailing service in 24 hours in time for the shipment to go out to us. We’ll check this out today and decide on which model to purchase.

A new female warthog we don’t recognize. If she continues to return, we’ll give her a name.

Now I need to get back to work on the treadmill which I avoided this morning while busy in the kitchen and also finish some tasks for tonight’s dinner guests.

We hope you’ll have as good a day as we expect to have. It’s cooler today after the rain, although very muddy and humid. But, that won’t keep us from having a fantastic day!

Photo from one year ago today, March 22, 2020:

What beautiful sunsets over the Arabian Sea while we sat outdoors by the pool awaiting our fate as Mumbai began to shut down. For more, please click here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *